Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Great Gatsby - Chapter 2 & 3

Analzying:

The protaginst is Nick. He is a trustworthy and good man.... so far. He seems to just "go with the flow". His cousin Daisy is a confidant. He seems to be able to vent to her and she vents to him also. Tom is the antagonist in my eyes because he isn't a good person at all. He cheats on his wife with Mrytle and even hit Mrytle. He even had his wife's husband (Nick) go to New York and then when they were pulling up at the station he said "I want you to meet my girl". I mean how big of a dirt bag do you have to be to introduce your mistress to your wife's cousin. Jordan Baker is an interesting character. From the sounds of it, she doesn't seem like a very trustworthy person because of all the shady things she has done (example: her golf ball being moved during a tournament). Mrytle is extremely two faced. Infront of her husband she is quiet and is kind to him, when she is with Tom she is flabouent and showy. She likes to pretend she has money. Tom just inables her to act this way because all she has to do is say that she wants something and he instantly gives it to her (example: the dog).

Relating it to my life:

In everybody's life, there is a two-faced person. I have had several of these "wonderful" people grace my life and I can say that they are no longer a part of my life anymore. Tom is the typical "studly" man. He thinks that nobody can do anything to him; he thinks he is indestructable. I am really hoping later in the story this comes back to bite him in the butt. Daisy is one character that I can relate to. I knew I was being cheated on but I just put a front on like nothing was wrong. I faked a smile and I should not have. Daisy and I are different because if the mistress would be calling while a family function, I would not be as "calm and collected" as she was. Plus I wouldn't stay with the cheater much longer. It is hard though to leave someone that you care about even though they are doing that to you. Tom does seem to care about Daisy still because when Mrytle was saying something about Daisy, Tom became mad and said not to say her name and Mrytle antagonized him and he ended up breaking Myrtle's nose over it. I do not agree with a man hitting a woman in the least bit, but he obviously did it becasue he cares about Daisy or maybe because he was feeling quilty for doing this to her.

1 comment:

  1. Can Tom become even more of a "dirt bag"?? Stay tuned!!
    9/10

    ReplyDelete