Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"A Jury of Her Peers" - Susan Glaspell

Analysis-

In this short story, there are several different characters. Mrs. Peters, the sheriff's wife, Mrs. Hales, who is Mrs. Wright's neighbor, Mrs. Wright, who's husband had been killed and I also think that Minnie Foster may be a nickname for Mrs. Wright, the county attonery, who is trying to determine who murdered Mr. Wright and then there are a couple of deputies at the house also. The setting is a "crime scene", but in other words, Mr. and Mrs. Wright's house. The protagonist is Mrs. Hale, maybe. I say this because she is trying to figure out what is happened to Mr. Wright, but then again I also think it may be Mrs. Wright because she is mentioned often and its about whether she murdered her husabnd or not. My guess on who the antagonist is would be the murder victim, Mr. Wright, because he's the problem because he's dead. The point of view is 3rd person omiscient because it flips from character to character. The plot is trying to determine the murder in the case and these characters are going through the house trying to find clues. The time era in which this was written is 1920's and you can see that in the writing. The women are still thought lowly of.

Reponse-

I liked this story to a point. I liked mysteries and trying to figure it out myself, but this story seemed to drag on to me. I thought it was interesting about the bird. If someone killed my beloved pet I would want to hurt them in return. I just thought it was odd how everything was half down or messed up in one place. Example: The kitchen being a mess and the one quilt square being messed up. I'm still trying to decide if Mrs. Wright had a psychological problem or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment