Wednesday, September 9, 2009

"First Confession" - Frank O'Connor

Analysis-

The protagonist in this story would be the little boy Jackie. He is a young boy. He is just like any other young boy, he doesn't like to be told what to do. He has an older sister named Nora and she is who I would say is the antagonist. Setting would be mid 1940's. In the introduction, it describes several things that the Grandma does to annoy Jackie and even tells of how he tried to stab his sister with a butterknife. The rising action would be when Jackie has to attend church school and learn how to give confession. The climax would be when he is at the church trying to give confession, and he's kneeling on the elbow rest and falls off and the father gets upset at Nora for trying to hit her brother. The falling action was when the father was talking to Jackie about everything he did and telling him he is like any other boy. Also, it seemed like Jackie finally realized that confession (something that he dreaded so bad) was something not so bad. The denouement would be when he's sister makes the comment, "....I might as well be a sinner like you." She realizes that maybe Jackie isn't as bad as she makes him out to be.

My Response-

I enjoyed this piece. It was really light-hearted like you said. I loved the part where Jackie was in the confession box and he fell off the elbow rest. I was extremely happy when Father stood up for Jackie. Nora seemed shocked and it made me smile. :) This short story was my favorite by far. I loved humor in it, MUCH different then our other readings.

1 comment:

  1. You are right; this was a stark contrast to our other stories!
    10/10

    ReplyDelete