Monday, September 14, 2009

"The Tell-Tale Heart" - Edgar Allan Poe

Analysis-

This story was written in 1st person stream of consciousness. The majority of time of day is at night around midnight while the old man is sleeping. There are 2 characters, the narrator and the old man with the evil eye. The protagonist is the narrator is obviously mentally disturbed. The narrator is a developing character because at the beginning he seemed semi normal and by the end he had completely lost it because he was hearing the beating of the old man's heart. The conflict is external and is man vs. himself. The theme is, the torment of a quilty mind.

Response-

I enjoyed this peice because I love the gothic feel of how Edgar Allan Poe writes. I can feel the torment this man is feeling when he believes the heart is beating beneath the floor boards. I was confused by how the narrator killed him with the bed. I was thinking he just smothered him and then dismembered him. He was very precise with how he hid the body. I wouldn't mind reading more stories by Edgar Allan Poe, he is an amazing writer.

2 comments:

  1. He is indeed an amazing writer. Please try to lengthen your analysis; elaborate upon some of the points that you make.
    9/10

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks. your this analysis help me alot.

    ReplyDelete